Wednesday, September 5, 2012

My Secret Book







Steam-Punk Book of Secrets
 


I am SOOOO excited about this project!!!  This is a book I just finished for an online class that I took from Andy Skinner, the Book of Secrets Class.  This is an actual wooden box with a pull out drawer and Andy shows you how to put the steam-punk style finish on the box.  I was so enthralled with the class that I spent almost all of friday working on this.

Back of Book






Spine of Book


 



   The book is covered in 300 gsm, watercolor paper, some of it embossed using Tim Holtz's embossing folders.   There is a mish-mash of embellishments on the book.  I have everything from chip-board, metal, actual clock gears and hands to wooden, laser-cut gears.  The eyes are something I picked up off of eBay.  The screws are actual bolts from my husband's clock repair shop that I cut the heads off of and mounted on the book.  Andy shows you how to put different effects on the book to add to the industrial effects, and he does this very well.
  
Close-up Front




Mystery Inside








These little oddities live inside of the drawer and are from Bead Landing (Michaels).  They are tubes that resemble glass fuses.  I placed peacock feathers inside, bent the copper pin that runs throught the tube at the ends.  I then drilled holes in the drawer and mounted them.  I will leave it up to your imagination as to what they look like-I was going for mystical! 

Drawer of Book

 This is with the drawer pulled out.  The watch inside really works.  It was taken apart and altered with Ranger's Alcohol Inks.  The Paper is from Studio 45's Olde Curiosity Shoppe pack.  The mulberry paper roses are in a little glass vase with long peacock feathers inside. 


I will be entering this in the Simon Says Stamp and Show challenge- Read All About It.  It seems very fitting.  You can visit the challenge at the Simon Says Stamp!
The Watch Works!
 blog site.  I really do love these guys!

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely fantastic, isn't the Andy Skinner technique fantastic. I am doing his on line class and this rust technique is one of my favourites. Your creation is fabulous and the embellishments are perfect. Stunning design. Thanks so much for joining in the Simon Says Stwmp and Show Challenge. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, this book is fantastic! I just love all of the details. And those tubes with the peacock feathers...gorgeous! I love peacock feathers. And I think I'll have to go to Michael's for some of those tubes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna! You will love those embellishments, they are fantastic. I've seen them with Vintage paints to add a beautiful patina.

      Delete
  3. Wowzerssss absolutely fabulously made, love the Andy Skinner Technique lots and it is fabulously vintagy...great job woww.....Stunning, thank you for sharing and joining into the fun over at the Bloghop from Simon Says Stamp and Show, hugs Terry xxxx

    ReplyDelete