Saturday, December 22, 2012

A Gift of Time



Original Look





Detail of Gears

A gift of time is just what I needed!!!  I have had a bit of an absence due to other projects (including this one) and family/job issues, but now I'm back!!  This is a clock I made for the Andy Skinner Class, Timeworn Techniques.  I wanted to make something for the class from something old, and give it a look of an old factory.  My wonderful husband, who repairs clocks for a living, donated an old kitchen clock case to my cause.  The clock is from the late 1800 to early 1900's.  This poor thing had been abused and broken beyond reasonable repair.  I decided it would be perfect for the final project for his class.  It now has a new look and a new purpose!!


Burnt Copper and Brass Finish

 Utilizing the techniques from his class, I applied several of his techniques to apply different finishes to the clock.  There is dry brushing to apply rust finish and old brass finish.  Copper with both patina and burnt finishes.  There is chipped paint and chipped/painted tin finishes.  The little tank is a technique I learned from Tim Holtz's Compendium of Curiosities II and it worked perfectly in my time factory!



Chipped Paint and Chipped Tin



Burnt Copper

This was such a great project for me.  I had to plan the clock in several different stages so each level didn't interfere with the one before it.  In the end, the little broken clock gave me a gift of pleasure and fun, and I gave it the gift of a new purpose!

Merry Christmas All!!

4 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful project, so much fantastic vintage goodness everywhere in it! You've really transformed that old clock case into something marvellous. Thanks so much for joining us for this week's Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely wonderful. I love the colours, shapes, textures and design. It's a fabulous creation and will make a wonderful gift and fantastic keepsake! Thanks so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully done project, Heather So intricate and lovely! I love altered things and you've given such a beautiful new life to this! Thanks for sharing your timeless piece with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete